Ravish Kumar is one of the most popular and respected journalists in India. He is known for his fearless and honest reporting, insightful and witty monologues, and sharp criticism of the government and the media. Ravish Kumar has won several work awards, including the Ramon Magsaysay Award 2019. He has also authored several books on various topics related to journalism, politics, and society.
Early Life and Education
Ravish Kumar was born on 5 December 1974 in Jitwarpur village in East Champaran district of Bihar. His father, Baliram Pandey, was a teacher, and his mother, Yashoda Pandey, was a homemaker. He has two brothers and a sister. He completed his schooling at Loyola High School in Patna and then moved to Delhi for higher studies. Ravish Kumar graduated from Deshbandhu College, affiliated with the University of Delhi, with a degree in history. He then pursued a post-graduate diploma in Hindi journalism from the Indian Institute of Mass Communication.
Ravish Kumar started his journalism career in 1994 when he joined NDTV India as a field reporter. He soon rose to become the senior executive editor of the channel and hosted several popular shows such as Prime Time, Hum Log, Ravish Ki Report, and Des Ki Baat. He covered various issues from politics, economy, social justice, education, health, environment, culture, and sports. Ravish Kumar also interviewed many prominent personalities from different fields and backgrounds. He gained a considerable fan following for his unique style of presenting news and analysis with a touch of humor and sarcasm. He also earned the respect of his peers and the public for his courage and integrity in exposing the truth and holding the powerful accountable.
Ravish Kumar resigned from NDTV India on 30 November 2022, a day after the channel’s founders and promoters Prannoy Roy and Radhika Roy resigned as directors on the board of RRPR Holding Private Limited (RRPRH), the promoter company of NDTV. The reason behind his resignation was not disclosed by him or the channel. Still, it was speculated that it was related to the acquisition of NDTV by Adani Group, a conglomerate with close ties to the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). Since then, he has been running his news channel on YouTube called Ravish Kumar Official. Where he continues producing videos on various public interest topics.
Awards and Recognition
Ravish Kumar has received many accolades for his journalism and social activism. Some of the notable ones are:
- Ramon Magsaysay Award (2019): He became the fifth Indian Journalist to receive this award, considered Asia’s Nobel Prize. He was recognized for “harnessing journalism to give voice to the voiceless” and for “his unfaltering commitment to a professional, ethical journalism of the highest standards.”
- Ramnath Goenka Excellence in Journalism Award (2017, 2013): He won this award twice for the broadcast category in the Hindi language. The Indian Express Group gives the award to honor journalists who have shown courage and excellence in their work.
- Gauri Lankesh Award for Journalism (2020): He received this award along with three other journalists for their “outstanding contribution to journalism.” The award is named after Gauri Lankesh, a journalist murdered in 2017 for her outspoken views against communalism and intolerance.
- Kuldip Nayar Journalism Award (2017): He was conferred this award for his “contribution towards making media more accountable to people.” The award is named after Kuldip Nayar, a veteran journalist and human rights activist.
- Red Ink Award (2016): He won this award for the Journalist of the Year category. The Mumbai Press Club gives the award to recognize excellence in journalism.
Ravish Kumar Personal Life
Ravish Kumar is married to Nayana Dasgupta, a history professor at Lady Shri Ram College for Women in Delhi. They have two children: a son and a daughter. He lives with his family in Delhi. He is an avid reader and writer and has published several books such as Ishq Mein Shahar Hona (2015), The Free Voice: On Democracy, Culture and the Nation (2018), Bolna Hi Hai: Loktantra, Sanskriti Aur Rashtra Ke Bare Mein (2019), etc.
Ravish Kumar Net Worth
According to various sources, Ravish Kumar’s net worth is estimated at around $1 million as of 2023. He earns income from his journalism career, YouTube channel, books, and public appearances. He is also known for his philanthropy and supports various causes and organizations related to education, health, environment, and human rights.